February 2019

*** In chronological order of what was read first
*** To find out what ratings mean, click on this 
Click on the name of the book and it will take you to Goodreads and more information about the book if you are interested in it.

Boys and Girls

Book: Boys and Girls

Author: Alice Munro

Genre: Short Story

# of pages: 10

Rating: 🙃

The Color of Our Sky

Book: The Color of Our Sky

Author: Amita Trasi

Genre: Coming-of-Age Fiction

# of pages: 416

Started: Feb 4 2019

Finished: Feb 21 2019

Average pages read per week: 166 pages per week. (2.5 week)

Average pages read per day: 23 pages per day

Rating: 🙂

February was not an amazing month for me, but it was full of experiences. I have a three writing blocks this semester, and my only relief was gym/leadership. So, this month was overwhelming to say the least and was hard to balance. I wish I read another novel.

The beginning of the semester, I wanted to try reading short stories because I have taken a interest in writing and reading them. By my surprise, we had to read short stories in ELA 30-1 and out of five, Boys and Girls was the best for me to read, so therefore it’s the only one I truly remember. This short story at first took awhile to get into, in fact I actually read it twice because I didn’t really do the first time reading it justice. This short story does have a bit of challenging words in it; I highlighted about 16 words, and there are 10 pages. The second time I read this short story, I really liked it because it’s about a girl that struggles against society’s ideas of how a girl should be (in the 1940s), only to find her trapped in the ways of the world. For me, wanting to always take ownership of myself, being independent and vocal it was interesting to see if I could picture myself in that situation. (I don’t think I’d survive)

Ever since grade 11 I’ve been interested in reading more Indian/ethnic books, because of the novel, The Kite Runnerby Khaled Hosseini. So when I spotted the book, The Color of Our Sky, on the shelf, I was beyond excited to read it. Although I was ecstatic, the beginning of the book was confusing because a lot of Indian words were used. (No wonder why, huh? Haha) It was not until a quarter into the book I realized there was a glossary at the back of the book. It was through the use of that, the book made more sense. This book really touched me and I found myself extremely invested in the characters and the story. The characters are so complex, yet so relatable. Mukta broke my heart, because she reminded of innocence. It was very hard to read about the subject of the Devadasi’s, since this barbaric tradition is still alive and well today. I couldn’t put this book down because it was that amazing, so I powered through in in a little over two weeks. (That’s not normal for me to do)

My goal for next month is to read a suspenseful book like, The Silent Patient, by Alex Michaelides. However, it’s not a promise. What is a promised is to strive to read two novels -suspenseful/young adult- and a short story.